Longhorn Lawyer
Longhorn Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Knowledgeable in all aspects related to family law matters.
23431962

My youngest son just turned 18 on May 14. He has decided to

my youngest son just turned 18 on May 14. He has decided to enter a union carpentry apprenticeship. This will begin mid to late July. He is required two weeks each month to attend shop classes for which he is not paid. He is only paid while on job sites. My ex filed on May 25 to have his child support end. Claiming he is 18 and not entering any institution for further education. Do I have any claim to continue his support even if it's just a few more months? He has already stopped the child support payment, even though I just received the motion on 6/10.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: missouri
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: He filed the motion to cease the child support. It's dated 5/25 but I did not receive a copy (served) until 6/10.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We do not have any clear statement in the original decree of when child support would end. Support for my oldest son was ceased at age 21 even though he was still in college.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please give me some time to consider your question.

Were you sent the Notice of Intent to Stop Collection of Current Support (CS–697) and did you return the CS–697?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm checking now to see what I was served.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok it's an Affidavit for Termination of Child support. bottom of form shows CCFC129-S

I'm not asking what you were served. 90 days prior to his 18th birthday, you should have been sent that form from the Family Support Division. If the child was to continue to meet the requirements for current support to continue, you were required to return the CS–697. Did this not happen?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No sir.

No to what? Did you not receive the CS-697?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have not received anything prior. This is the first that I had heard that he was going to terminate

OK, you need to contact the Family Support Division and ask whether they sent one of those documents to you and find out when they did that and to what address. Come back and let me know. This will determine what to do next.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok can we go on the assumption that they did not send me one?

I would prefer not to do that, as it would be a total waste of time if that is not true.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK well I'm not going to get an immediate answer from them so how do I get back in touch?

Just come back to this page, log in and find this question. You also should have received a lot of emails notifying you of my responses. You can access this Q&A that way.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi James, ok I spoke with child support services. they show no record of sending me the CS-697. she also stated that he cannot stop his payments to me until it is granted. However, I show no pending payment in my bank account for Friday's payment. which normally I would see by the Wednesday prior.

Apologies for the delay. I was away at lunch when you responded. Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you see the option to rate, please do so with a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars. Otherwise, I do not get credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: If you disagree with the statement in the Affidavit and object to the termination of the obligation to pay support, then you must file an Answer with the Court that states your reasons the obligation to pay support for the child should continue. This Answer will likely result in a hearing to determine continued obligations. NOTE: Failing to file within 30 days of receiving the notice can result in a default entry that terminates his obligation to pay support.

In terms of his obligation to continue paying, he is not allowed to stop paying support until a court tells him he is. The obligation to pay current support is not terminated unless and until there is a court order, an Affidavit for Termination of Child Support filed (and you agree to it or do not contest it), or the child turns 21.

In other words, it is not his decision to just up and stop paying. You need to contact the Family Support Division to file a complaint and contact the family court with jurisdiction over the child's residence to have the court enforce the current order until such time that they have decided that he no longer is required to pay child support.

I hope that answers your question. Please remember to click on a rating at the top of your screen and hit the submit button - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What is the definition of vocational training. He checked the box of attaining the age of 18 plus "not enrolling in an institution of vocational or higher education. He is doing a union apprenticeship. He is required to spend two weeks every month at the union hall for training (non-paid time). When he completes his four year apprenticeship, he can return to college and only needs 15 credit hours to receive his bachelors degree. What I'm looking for is this an acceptable argument to continue support? I would still be supporting him as he wouldn't be able to live on his own with the minimal pay.

Kindly remember that in order for me to get credit for doing my job, you have to go to the top of this page and click on 4 or 5 stars. Thank you!

ANSWER: According to Missouri Statutes, for the purposes of child support, vocational training means any post-secondary training or schooling for which the student is assessed a fee and attends classes regularly. So the question is whether what you describe can be considered as attending classes regularly.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but the question is still open and no credit has been given. Do you require additional assistance? Please let me know. Thank you!