Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

At the family law court, the magistrate ordered that I was

Customer Question

At the family law court, the magistrate ordered that I was denied grandparent visitation and to present "exceptions" to this ruling. In this case what are exceptions?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Do you mean the exceptions? If so, no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. I don't have a copy of the defendant's answer.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question? By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. I am happy to speak with you, but by no means are you required to accept it.

Ok, under MD law, what the judge means by "exceptions" is that you have to prove that there are some exceptional circumstances that should allow you visitation. These exceptional circumstances basically mean that you have to prove that the parent is unfit in some manner such that visitation should be granted to you as a parent. The seminal case on this is Koshko v. Haining 398 Md. 404, (2007) according to the MD courts.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?