How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3624
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

At the family law court, the magistrate ordered that I was

Customer Question

At the family law court, the magistrate ordered that I was denied grandparent visitation and to present "exceptions" to this ruling. In this case what are exceptions?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Do you mean the exceptions? If so, no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. I don't have a copy of the defendant's answer.
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question? By the way, the system will automatically ask for a phone call. I am happy to speak with you, but by no means are you required to accept it.

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Ok, under MD law, what the judge means by "exceptions" is that you have to prove that there are some exceptional circumstances that should allow you visitation. These exceptional circumstances basically mean that you have to prove that the parent is unfit in some manner such that visitation should be granted to you as a parent. The seminal case on this is Koshko v. Haining 398 Md. 404, (2007) according to the MD courts.

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Related Family Law Questions