Longhorn Lawyer
Longhorn Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Knowledgeable in all aspects related to family law matters.
23431962

My daughter has a 2 year son and she wants to join the navy

Customer Question

My daughter has a 2 year son and she wants to join the navy but they are requiring that she sign over physical custody of him to me as the grandparent. The father of the child is not allowing that, can she do it without his permission?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: virginia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no and he has no court orders
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They are not married and are not even dating anymore. my daughter and her child live with me
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Longhorn Lawyer replied 2 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please give me some time to consider your question.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you see the option to rate, please do so with a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars. Otherwise, I do not get credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: Generally, the only way to make this happen is for your daughter to seek to give you guardianship, through the family court having jurisdiction over the child. It is possible that, barring any threat of emotional or physical harm, the court will deny that request and give the custody to the father of the child. But the only way this can be done without the consent of the father is through the family court.

I hope that answers your question. Please remember to click on a rating at the top of your screen and hit the submit button - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Just as a follow-up, you can take the position in this matter that the child has been living with you and moving the child at this point would cause too much chaos and trauma to the child. And therefore, it is in the best interest of the child to keep the child in his/her current home with one of his/her current caretakers.

Thank you!

Expert:  Longhorn Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but the question is still open and no credit has been given. Do you require additional assistance? Please let me know. Thank you!