Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

What do I do if I can no longer afford my divorce attorney.

Customer Question
what do I do if...
what do I do if I can no longer afford my divorce attorney
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: missouri
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes, it's almost settled but trial is july 12 and my lawyer needs $5000 in retainer fees now by june 23 which I have no way of getting
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want to be with my daughter joint custody 50% not 2 nights a week, can't afford proposed child care of $650 each month for 1 child when her mother still does not work
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
6/15/2017
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Have you spoken with your attorney about this and if so, what did they say and will they work with you?

I meet with them today but they have already said if I can't give then $5000 by june 23 they wink withdrawl from case.

Thank you for the reply. If they withdraw, you will have to represent yourself. If the attorney is not getting paid for the work which they are doing, they have a right to withdraw and the Judge will likely grant it. You will then have to act pro se and handle this on your own, going forward. I know this is not ideal but what the situation will result in, if the attorney withdraws.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Ely, Counselor at Law