Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

I am in early stages of divorce. I had gotten sick and took

Customer Question

i am in early stages of divorce. I had gotten sick and took early ditribution on my retirement accounts to pay household debt. I know that she has a retirement account and want to know if I am intitled to a portion of it. I am on disablity and had I known she planned to divorce me, I would have filed bankruptcy, rather than paying these marital debts.
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: ok
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: pa
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: divorce papers?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: well yes, i want to force her to provide me with finanacila documents in that i believe she handled money that i earned, that was far in excess of what was needed to meet my monthly debt load. I have asked for them, but she is resisitng
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Pennsylvania is known as an equitable distribution state, which means that all property acquire during marriage, regardless of whose name it is in, is part of the marital estate and is subject to equitable distribution upon divorce. This would mean that any money she earned during the marriage and put into a retirement account should also be part of the marital estate and should be evenly distributed between you and her.

If she is resisting providing financial documents, you should look into hiring a local divorce attorney who can help you through this process. However, as part of any divorce proceeding, she would be required to disclose all her assets to the court so the judge can create a divorce decree that evenly distributes all marital property.