How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34741
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My divorce was finalized in 2012 in AZ. I moved in 10/2011

Customer Question

My divorce was finalized in 2012 in AZ. I moved in 10/2011 to California. My ex left AZ in 2014 for VA. We still have issues to resolve and I would like to move the divorce decree to California so I can handle issue with more ease. Is this possible to do legally?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Divorce decree in Arizona. I want to move it to California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Meaning?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. There is $98K in spousal arrears. I cannot seem to get anywhere in AZ
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. What do you mean by "move it to CA"?? Are you asking if a CA court can modify an AZ divorce decree?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 months ago.

Thank you

That is impossible. That is, CA has no authority to modify or vacate an AZ divorce order.

It simply is not possible. You may be able to find a lawyer to take your money to file the motion...but the motion would be rejected by the court. Again, CA has no authority her.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can bring this to a CA court but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 3 months ago.

Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding