Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

What type of attorney do I need to talk to about spousal

emotional abuse? This has been...
what type of attorney do I need to talk to about spousal emotional abuse? This has been going on for 61/2 years. We have been married 35 years and had no problems the first 28 years. Then he suddenly changed and has been emotionally abusing me for the past 6 1/2 years. The police have been involved many times . It has gone on so long and so regularly I have changed 100% from who I used to be. I don't shower or dress, I don't leave the house, I have no ambition and do absolutely nothing all day. I'm extremely depressed and have absolutely no life. I have been diagnosed with PTSD. After an incident last week, I have been physically ill. My stomach aches constantly and I have chest pains. He denies that he has done nothing to cause me so much pain and suffering.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ca.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not by me. I didn't know if I could. Basically I want him out of the house and a Restraining Order in place. I'll file for divorce after I get him out of the house. Actually, I have talked to Adult Protective Services and the Sonoma County Family Justice Center. They talked to me but nothing came of it. I'm 63 years old and my husband is 69. Adult Protective Services couldn't help me because I'm not 65 yet.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There was one instance of physical abuse last year. He grabbed my upper left arm in a vice grip and slammed me into a wall. My arm instantly started throbbing and I couldn't move it. The police came to the house. They talked to me and I told them exactly what happened and told them I needed medical attention. One of the officers looked at my arm and said "it's not broken". They talked to my husband separately. The next thing I knew, they came upstairs and told me I was under arrest. They said the area on the wall that he slammed me into wasn't discheveled and they didn't believe me. I told them again that my arm was killing me and I needed medical attention. I was ignored. They handcuffed me and took me to jail. They booked me, fingerprinted me and took a mug shot. My husband bailed me out through a bondsman several hours later. The next a.m. I had a huge bruise on my arm where he squeezed it. I called the police to come back to the house and take a photo of my arm. They did that. I went to my doctor and she said my upper arm bone was bruised. I wouldn't regain the mobility in that arm for several months and the pain would also last that long. The case was thrown out by the DA. Several weeks laterI received a letter from the Police Dept. stating that I had not been arrested, I had been detained. I didn't understand that.
6/10/2017
Loren, Lawyer

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

You would want a family law attorney. They will be able to protect your rights and and get you an order of protection.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Thank you for the attorney referral information. XXXXXXXX XXXXX

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
Loren, Lawyer