Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I was just served a summons for dissolution of marriage, and

I don't have a lawyer...
I was just served a summons for dissolution of marriage, and I don't have a lawyer it says I have to respond in 30 days?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Yes, Minnesota, Hennepin County
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: any other legal action? no - no domestic abuse, restraining orders, nothing - she moved out "amicably" last week
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Same sex marriage per MN law, as of August 2013
6/10/2017
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Do you object to the divorce? Is there anything in the petition you object to?
I don't object to the divorce, but there are some terms in the petition that are not correct; and there is one term, requiring me to pay off the home equity loan, with which I do not agree. I have paid and will continue to pay the mortgage (I am staying in the house, she moved out, and the document requires me to refinance in 18 months which is fine). But we just incurred a 30k home equity loan to have some work done, and she told me the day the work was completed that she wanted to leave. She had verbally assured me that she would over the HELOC if I kept the mortgage, so I am not willing to just take the HELOC as is.
Maybe have her pay interest only for up to 18 mos until the refi is done...?
Phone call session started

Can you provide your phone number so we can contact you? Thank you.

you have it (or it's on the screen, anyway)(###) ###-####

Here is the link to the forms you will need if you are not going to use a local attorney, copy and paste it to your browser: http://www.mncourts.gov/Help-Topics/Divorce/Forms-to-Respond.aspx

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer