Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Tina, my divorce property settlement was Stipulated

Customer Question
Hi Tina, my divorce...

Hi Tina, my divorce property settlement was Stipulated Judgement that the property was returned to me sole and separate.Can a subsequent transfer be nullified if it is questionable?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California, San Diego

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I am in the middle of a second divorce with a hearing in two weeks over the same property.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can a presumption of title return it to me?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
6/8/2017
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The presumption is any property acquired during marriage is community property. Property given you in a prior divorce is your separate property for the purposes of a subsequent marriage unless you made the mistake of putting your new spouse's name on the deed and then you converted it to community property. If you never put your new spouse on the deed, the presumption is that the title is separate property.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.