Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband's State of South Dakota Property Settlement

Agreement indicates that his ex-wife...
My husband's State of South Dakota Property Settlement Agreement indicates that his ex-wife is the beneficiary of his life insurance policy. This settlement occurred on May 25, 1999. Since then both parties have remarried. My husband and I have been married for 13 years and his ex-wife and her husband have been married for about the same amount of time. Is the property settlement valid even though both parties have remarried?
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/5/2017
Loren, Lawyer

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Unfortunately, the settlement agreement remains valid and binding, even in the event of remarriage, unless its terms provide otherwise or the parties seek to modify it and the modification is approved by the court.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Loren, Lawyer
Loren, Lawyer