Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I entered into a property settlement agreement with my ex

wife. At the time we...
I entered into a property settlement agreement with my ex wife. At the time we agreed to the settlement, she had told me that the divorce would be temporary, she just needed space and we would remarry within 3 years. She was gonna live in an apartment nearby. And, yes, I believed her. After the divorce documents were approved, I learned from her that she had in fact sought divorce because she had been having an affair with another man, and in fact was living with him at the time we agreed on the settlement. Had I known this I would have not have agreed to some of the things I did. Can this deviousness on her part invalidate the settlement agreement?
5/30/2017
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Yes, it may be possible, if she did not enter into the settlement, acting in good faith along with misrepresenting things to you, simply to get what she wanted. Moreover, if you relied on this, when you agreed to settle, thinking it was true, when it was not, you could have a basis to go back and try and vacate this, showing to the court what was stated and represented and what you relied on and how/if you knew the truth and she did not lie, the settlement may have been different.

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Thanks much.
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer