Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can I get child support and spousal support from my spouse…

Customer Question
Can I get child...

Can I get child support and spousal support from my spouse once we divorce because he cheated and made a baby with this other woman and left the home?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was trying to find free legal services cause I'm on a budget . Can't find anyone that can get me spousal support and child support free

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
any advice
5/28/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

If you have too file yourself and have court resolve custody, child and spousal support, etc.

Here is self help and forms to file yourself.

https://www.9thjdcselfhelp.com/divorce

You will need to modify the forms to your parish and court.

More

http://www.divorcenet.com/resources/filing-for-divorce/louisiana.htm

You are likely going to have to file yourself called pro se here and get this going.

Go to your local courthouse and ask to file the documents. It's very important that you file in the right courthouse, or your divorce will be invalid. Louisiana's trial courts, which handle divorces, are divided into different districts. One district can cover multiple parishes, so if you have any questions or are unsure whether you're filing in the right courthouse, ask the clerk of court. You can file for divorce in the parish where you live or the parish where your spouse lives.

Service of the Petition shall be requested on the Defendant within 90 days of the filing of the Petition. A divorce will not be granted until a Rule to Show Cause is filed.

The Rule to Show Cause alleges proper service of the Petition for Divorce, that the requisite period of time or more has passed since that service, and, where applicable, that the spouses have lived separate and apart for the requisite period of time. It shall be verified by the affidavit of the Plaintiff and shall be served on the Defendant, prior to being granted a divorce, unless the Defendant waives service.

Your case will be set for hearing here and you can ask for custody,support and spousal support.

I appreciate the chance to help you and wish you the best here.

If you can positive rate5 stars it is much appreciated.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer