Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Family law question. Texas child support question. My oldest

Family law question. Texas...
Family law question. Texas child support question. My oldest graduates from high school tomorrow. Of course I knew child support would decrease. I have one younger daughter. Child support was $1923 per month. Received "new" child support today. It is not garnished as my ex is a dentist here in The Woodlands, TX. He just sent a check for "half". I am certain it should be somewhere near 20% of his monthly net income. He makes well above the "cap". He does have a son who is 6 from his 2nd marriage. Could you tell me what new support should be?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Nothing as of yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is all
5/26/2017
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Thank you.

You are correct; based on the statutory guidelines, the child support for one child is 20%; here is a calculator:

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/cs/calculator/

Any child support order remains in full force and effect until it is modified or terminated by the court; so if no termination is set forth in an order a parent would need to petition for termination;

if there is still a child to support then the proper process is to request a modification; until that point any existing order is effective.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Thank you

You are most welcome!

Thank you and take care.

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

(no additional charges are incurred).

Thank you and take care.

One further question...the "cap" has changed from $7500 to $8550 in Texas. Would it be 20% of the newer cap? And he is now paying child support on his child from second marriage as they are divorcing. Would that affect the 20% ?

The court will apply the new cap as that is adjusted for inflation.

If a second child has a support obligation, then the first child's support amount can be reduced to 17.5%.

Thank you. And this would not require a new petition to modify?

Any modification does require a petition to modify, even the increased percentage.

LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Okay. Wonder how much that will cost me? Thank you for your help. I will provide positive rating.
LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer