Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

What if an attorney ad litem only met with me 2 times....can

Customer Question

Hi, what if an attorney ad litem only met with me 2 times....can I refuse to pay him?
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes. I had a custody battle which I was not happy with the outcome. The ad litem only met with me twice. the 2st time I met with him he was already telling me to give up my kids because they didn't want to be with me. I have court tomorrow for the pending fees of the ad litem... I feel he wasn't fair to me or my children. He only met with my kids when they were with dad.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Due to pressure and dishonesty I gave my ex the primary custody of my children. Ad litem was not useful to me at least.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
This is a common complaint about GAL and in order to fight the case, you have to present evidence to the court that the GAL information is false or not factual by using an independent witness. The GAL is there for the best interests of the children, not for the parent's. The issue is whether or not he met with the children more than how much he met with either parent. Unfortunately, many GAL do take sides and interject their own personal bias into cases and the only way to fight this in court would be through getting a child counselor involved to interview the children and prove that the report of the GAL is false.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.