How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37816
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-husband have decided to change to terms of our divorce

Customer Question

My ex-husband have decided to change to terms of our divorce decree related to our marital property. Our decree states that I was required to refinance within 2 years of our divorce. However, my ex-husband and I have mutually agreed to an open ended refinance which he has not enforced that 2 year requirement. He has agree to sign a notarized letter agreeing to allow me remain in our marital home indefinitely until I am able to refinance, without any enforcement of a forced sale. Will a notarized letter suffice?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: A few years ago.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

So long as you pay him a small amount of money for the agreement to forbear seeking court enforcement of the ordered sale, then yes, the contract would be enforceable. The amount of money does not have to be anything in particular, but you should make it for at least $10.00 and the DO PAY HIM the $10 to make it all legal.

The document needs to set out that in exchange for the sum of $10.00 (or any amount you agree on) that he will agree not to seek enforcement of the court order to sell the property. He will need to sign the document, you should sign and date it as well and you can have the signatures notarized and you will be all set.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good evening,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,