How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34516
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter lives in North Carolina with her son. The father

Customer Question

My daughter lives in North Carolina with her son. The father is in Indiana. No paternity was ever established in the court system however he did sign the birth certificate. The father is on disability and does not pay support. He says he is going to file for custody in court. Would that go through Indiana court or North Carolina where the child is established. He is 5 years old.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Indiana is where the father resides and the son was born. The child and mother live in North Carolina
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is the big question. Just where this would have to go through the court
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.

The court for the county where the child and custodial parent reside would have jurisdiction. So, the petition would have to be filed in NC, without regard for where the child was born.

Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!