Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

I was recently contacted by a lawyer saying the state of

Customer Question

hi i was recently contacted by a lawyer saying the state of florida owes me 1600 dollars because of a trust my grandparents had when they died.
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: i am in virginia, but the money is held by florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Legally, states are required to hold assets that have been unclaimed by the recipients for more than the amount of time specified by statute. Some people go through these lists of unclaimed property and offer to help the owners claim it for a fee. That might be why this person called you. Go to this website and do a search under your name and each of your grandparents' names. If the funds were in a trust, a last name search might also help you find it. If the money is being held by the state, you can get instructions for claiming it from their website. There's no reason to pay a lawyer to collect funds the state is holding for you.

If you don't find anything on that website, you may want to ask the lawyer for more information. That will help you evaluate if he's being honest with you. Also check to make sure he's currently a lawyer licensed with the state of Florida.

https://www.floridabar.org/directories/find-mbr/

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?