Sue
Sue, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Family Law litigator for over 35 years
95544193

I want to file for joint custody of my daughter I'm not in a

Customer Question

I want to file for joint custody of my daughter I'm not in a relationship with the mother but I have been there since her birth and I have been paying her child support on our verbal agreement. But now she never lets me even see my daughter alone or even take her for a night . I've been waiting for my daughter to get a little Oder like 5 months so that it's easier on her but the mom always finds excuses not to do so. How can u help me. I just want to start bonding with my daughter.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No in the process of looking I'm 21 and all this is very overwhelming but I live with my parents and have their support.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The mother seems to be a little unstable,by some of her actions and lies that she's created. Even her family has supported us in saying these things about her.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Sue replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I am a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I am here to help you today. I’d like to review your question for a few minutes, type your answer and then I’ll be right back.

Sue

Expert:  Sue replied 3 months ago.

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

I sympathize with how overwhelming this is - it would be for anyone in your position.

What you can do is file for paternity, sometimes called parentage. This will establish your parental rights to you daughter, settnig custody and time-sharing (also called visitation in some jurisdictions). It will also formalize child support via a formula

I sympathize with how overwhelming this is.

What you can do is file for paternity, sometimes called parentage. This will establish your parental rights to you daughter, set custody and time-sharing. It will also formalize child support via a formula based on your income and the mother's income, or imputed income if she is not yet back to work or working. Imputed income is assessed on income from the sort of job she is qualified for.

If you wish to give me your city and county, I can look to see if there are court forms available on line to begin the paternity process.

I expect to go off-line soon, but I will check back within 24 hours.

If you would like to provide more information, if you have other questions or if I can be of any further assistance, please just reply to continue.

I hope I have given you good service today.

Kindly chose a rating when you are ready.

Sue

your income and the mother's income, or imputed income, given the sort of job she is qualified for.

Sue

Expert:  Sue replied 3 months ago.

Hello, is there anything else I can help you with?

If you haven't already, would you please choose a rating?

Thank you,

Sue