Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a name change hearing coming up for my 4 year old…

I have a name...

I have a name change hearing coming up for my 4 year old daughter and her father and i are together and have both agreed and signed off on this but im unsure what to expect from the judge

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I filed a petition for name change this week. we both signed it in front of a notary and want this for our daughter

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't guess, i just wanted a little insight as to what the judge may ask. I have never done anything like this before

5/12/2017
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Normally the judge will simply verify that both parents are in agreement with the name change and will ensure the name change is not being done to defraud creditors-which as you can imagine is normally an issue with adults, and not minor children.

Since the child is too young to require consent that is a non-issue.

The court will simply look to make sure it is a legitimate reason, the name change is in the child's best interest (they must determine that but usually rubber stamp it if both parents agree) and then they issue the order.

http://texaslawhelp.org/resource/name-change-of-adult-and-minors-fact-sheet

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i just am unsure how to convince him its in her best intrest. Shes 4 years old and he is her biological father, we just were seperated when she was born and want her name changed before she starts school.

Do the parents live together? Do the parents have the same last name?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No we currently do not live together and were never married. We have dated on and off for the past 14 years and got back together a year ago.

Thank you

So long as the child is young enough that it won't be confusing to have a name change, the court will generally allow it particularly if it doesn't impact school records.

If the parties are married then the court will definitely allow it; if they are together and the father is the bio father and the parents are in agreement that the child should have the father's last name, then the court will typically allow that so long as the child is not of an age that they can object, or so long as the court doesn't decide it would create an identity issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, Thank you so much!

You are most welcome; thank you!

LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer