How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34976
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was just wondering how to get my live in boyfriend out of

Customer Question

I was just wondering how to get my live in boyfriend out of my house. He is verbally abusive and now that i have a
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: I have a baby and I don't want her around it. I live in New York. We have been together for 19 years.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that doesn't work. We never did papers for domestic partnership.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 months ago.

This you have a lease or rental agreement with this person?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I own my home. He is not on the mortgage or the title
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 months ago.

Thank you

I understand you are the owner...but I am asking if you have any sort of agreement with him for living in the home (like a rental agreement)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No rental agreement, he hasn't worked in years
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 months ago.

With no rental agreement you have what is called a "tenancy at will"

To evict him, you must first provide him notice, in writing, that he has to leave. And you have to provide him at least 30 days to move out.
Day 31...If he is still there? You head to the county court and speak to the clerk of the court...they can get you the forms need to file for eviction.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.