How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118678
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is now 25 but she has struggled for the past 20

Customer Question

My daughter is now 25 but she has struggled for the past 20 years with dealing with her father saying all sorts of untrue things about me turning her against me all these years to the point she attacked me the other day is that something that I can go after my ex for
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Missouri
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well there's all kinds of situations I could explain but it just basically bullets down to he has tried to turn her against me told her how stupid she is all her life and she never amount to anything but she's very close to her father but yet it is resulted in her and I struggling all these years have a healthy relationship between a mother and a daughter
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 5 months ago.
Are you asking how to stop defamatory statements?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well yes and if he can be sued for all the mental damage he has caused myself and my daughter. She just told me today that she has thoughts of suicide daily and it stems from her father telling her how stupid she is and that she'll never be anything and how he's turned her so much against me throughout the past 20 years that we can't even have a good relationship with each other and it's got to stop
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No phone call yet
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is that it
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry for the above delay, I AM A DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR.
I am sorry to say that legally, suing an ex spouse for defamation has to be done within 1 year of him making the comments about you. In order to succeed on the suit, you have to prove that he knew the statements to be false when he made them and that as a result of his known false statements you have suffered some financial harm. Once you prove some financial harm, only then can you add in emotional damages. These are not easy cases to win against a former spouse, as so many of the hurtful comments fall into the category of opinion and not known false statements and it is very hard for a court to determine.
If you do want to pursue him and the last false statement that led to this attack was made within the last year, statute of limitations, I would suggest using a local civil attorney to file suit against him (as I said these cases are not easy, so having an attorney would increase your chances of success).
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.