How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30167
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend is a federal inmate in TX. She married a

Customer Question

My girlfriend is a federal inmate in TX. She married a friend before going into custody so she could wear a ring she liked inside. She married in Oregon. Can she file for divorce? If so, in TX or OR? No kids. No property.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Married in Oregon. In custody in Texas.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: She says she filed something in Tarrant Co. TEXAS, But I could not locate, nor am I sure which jurisdiction is appropriate.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

She can file for divorce in Texas if she's been there for at least 6 months. If she filed the paperwork, you would be able to access it. Court documents are public record. It may take longer for paperwork mailed from a jail to arrive than if you or I mailed something, but there would still be a record of it. She could also file in Oregon if her spouse lives in Oregon.

If she wants alimony, she would have to file in the state where her spouse lives.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Do you have any questions about this?