How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10242
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is disabled and receives SSI and medical care through

This answer was rated:

My son is disabled and receives SSI and medical care through the government. He is engaged to be married to a young lady who is disabled also and receives some SSI and some medical care through the government. We are wanting to know if this Marriage will have a negative effect on their benefits. Its just the two of them, no children involved. Thank you in advance.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Unfortunately marriage can have a negative impact on benefits;

the marriage itself affects eligibility if the spouse's income/assets are above the threshhold; but I believe the question relates to the monthly payout of benefits-please note that per the following chart, the marital rate is quite lower than the individual rate -

Marital rate:

$1103 for an eligible couple

For an eligible individual it is $735;

please see:

Per the state's advisory:

Benefits for a married couple, both of whom receive SSI and have no other income, amount to 25 percent less than the total they would receive if they were living together but not as husband and wife

The medical insurance coverage will depend what plan they are under:

If they are received a subsidy through the ACA, that is based on income and the subsidy can be reduced. (that looks at size of household and total income).

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:

LegalGems and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you