Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My ex and I are preparing for court, largely for a

modification of child support in...
My ex and I are preparing for court, largely for a modification of child support in Ga.. She is requesting many documents from me. Many of these documents are about my finances and would embaress me if they were released to others. I would normally follow court protocol and send them. However, the last time I did this my ex sent the documents to a friend of hers. Her friend then emailed many of my family/friends this info to humiliate me. Do I have a case to not send them until their is a court order stating these are private? Or do I have a case not to send them given my ex has a history of using them maliciously? I would send relevant documents pertaining to the case, but many documents are just going to be used to embarrass me again.
Why is this question closed? I have not received a response. Jim
Answered in 8 days by:
5/19/2017
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Your Questions:

Do I have a case to not send them until their is a court order stating these are private?

Response 1: Yes. If she is requesting these documents to solely use to embarrass you, that would be an abuse of the system and you should ask the Court to intervene in the case.

Or do I have a case not to send them given my ex has a history of using them maliciously?

Response 2: Yes, do not send her the documents unless there is a Court Order. If there is one, you can request for in camera examination. That is, that you be allowed to bring the subject documents to the Court for the parties to see without any recording equipment. Then you can take the documents back after that.

I would send relevant documents pertaining to the case, but many documents are just going to be used to embarrass me again.

Response 3: Do not send them. See my response #2.

Goodluck with your case,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Thanks for the informative response. Also, many documents are interrogatories or responses to interrogatories that the judge will not review, but needed for opposing counsel. In this case, all parties will review the documents in court (or perhaps a law office) but they will not be able to retain the documents. Correct?
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law