How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13748
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have some custody of my 5 year daughter her father is not

Customer Question

I have some custody of my 5 year daughter her father is not active inbher life but ordered to pay child support she has my name hyphenated with her father I want to drop his last name
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New york
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just want to drop the 2nd last name father refuses to be in her life cause he pays child support that's about it has t seen her in over 2 years his choice
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

Good morning,

In order to change her last name, you'll have to file a petition with the court to do a name change of a minor. If the father will not give his consent, you'll need to give him notice of the petition so that he has the opportunity to object and tell the court why he feels the name should not be changed.

The NY Courts website has the information and forms you need to do this process here.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

Was there anything I could clarify for you or additional information you needed?

If you need clarification or additional information, please REPLY and I'll be happy to help further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars so I am credited for my time and assistance. This costs you nothing extra.​ Thank you!