Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have been divorced for two years. In the divorce it says

Customer Question

I have been divorced for two years. In the divorce it says that my ex will take over my Priamerica account, which is my life insurance.
JA: Not for this question, but they might if you need additional services. You'll have to ask the Lawyer about that.
Customer: Can I change the beneficiary?? Priamerica tells me it is my account and I have the right to change beneficiaries. Can I do this?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Iowa
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not sure what you mean. The divorce is filed.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't understand how he can get the money from my life insurance when we are no longer married.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

What is the specific language in the decree? Do you and your ex have any minor children together? Are you paying him spousal or child support?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Life Insurance Policies: The parties should be awarded as his or her sole, seperate property, free and clear from any claim by the other, all life insurance policies on his or her life and the cash value thereof; and the other party is hereby divested of any interest in such life insurance policies.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just cancel. I thought this was free advice. I will contact someone else. Thank you.