Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I paid directly my child support to my ex on the regular

Customer Question

Hi, I paid directly my child support to my ex on the regular basis. Now the Child recovery unit ask for the totality of the child support since the beginning. What are my rights ?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Iowa
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes there was a court order I was supposed to pay the court directly
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You need to provide evidence of your payments to Child Support Recovery. Otherwise, you would need to file Motion with the Court for relief. The Court would also need some evidence of your payments in order to stop Child Support Recovery from going after you.

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The child recovery unit told me they need a court order stating I have already paid the child support. Of course I have all the proof of the payments . Now how can I file a court order? Shall I need to hire a lawyer ?

You do not need to have an Attorney. You can file Motion with the Court asking to be given credit for the child support payments previously made. You have to reference the case number ***** the case, the original child support Order docket number. You can obtain blank Motion forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.

Goodluck with your case,

A 5-star rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive proper credit for responding to your post. Kindly use the popup screen to give the rating. There is no additional cost to you for giving a 5-star rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.