Amadeo Rivera
Amadeo Rivera,
Experience:  Sr. Trial Attorney II at El Paso County Public Defender
98710364

Define Motion and how to change venue and date of hearing,

Customer Question

Define Motion and how to change venue and date of hearing
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Amadeo Rivera replied 4 months ago.

A "motion" is a general term. Most anything filed with a court, aside from the original petition (or complaint), is some sort of a motion. It's just a request for whatever. If you need more time to prepare for trial, you file a Motion for Continuance. If you want to change venue, you would just file a motion to change venue (sometimes called Motion for Forum Non-Conveniens) and state the reasons for why the motion should be granted. Generally, a change of venue means moving the case to another county. If the case is moved, the receiving court would most likely set a new scheduling order for the proceedings, to give the court time to get a grip on the new case, before diving into trial. I hope this helps. If it does, please accept my answer and provide positive feedback so I can get paid. If not, please let me know so I can try to get you a better answer.