How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Amadeo Rivera Your Own Question
Amadeo Rivera
Amadeo Rivera,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 74
Experience:  Sr. Trial Attorney II at El Paso County Public Defender
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Amadeo Rivera is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Define Motion and how to change venue and date of hearing,

Customer Question

Define Motion and how to change venue and date of hearing
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Amadeo Rivera replied 4 months ago.

A "motion" is a general term. Most anything filed with a court, aside from the original petition (or complaint), is some sort of a motion. It's just a request for whatever. If you need more time to prepare for trial, you file a Motion for Continuance. If you want to change venue, you would just file a motion to change venue (sometimes called Motion for Forum Non-Conveniens) and state the reasons for why the motion should be granted. Generally, a change of venue means moving the case to another county. If the case is moved, the receiving court would most likely set a new scheduling order for the proceedings, to give the court time to get a grip on the new case, before diving into trial. I hope this helps. If it does, please accept my answer and provide positive feedback so I can get paid. If not, please let me know so I can try to get you a better answer.