How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJL LAW Your Own Question
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1612
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
KJL LAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

MY friend wants to modify child support,she lives in Denver

Customer Question

MY friend wants to modify child support,she lives in Denver the ex-husband and father of their 14 year lives in summit county. does she need an attorney in summit county
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no when they divorced they had no attorney but it was filed in summit county
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She wants to know how to increase support because the father does not ever see the child or particiate in the childs live. The mothers income is lower than father and she would like to get back support too
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 5 months ago.
Good afternoon
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 5 months ago.
In Colorado, child support is modifiable if a change in circumstances leads to a 10% increase or decrease in obligation. To modify the support a request can be made for a review of the child support order. Your friend needs to indicate the facts and reason why there is a change in the circumstances. The order may not be changed unless: The dollar amount of the order changes by 10% or more, OR Medical support is not ordered or has changed. Reasons to request a review may include the following: One parent has a change in income; There has been a change in the cost of raising a child (i.e. healthcare costs or day-care expenses); The number of overnight visits the children have with the other parent has changed; and It has been three (3) years since your last review. The request must be in writing, signed, and submitted to the county Child Support Enforcement (CSE) Unit that is handling your case. The request must also include an Income and Expense Affidavit with supporting documentation. Both the request for review and Income and Expense Affidavit are necessary to start a review of the child support order. Here is a link to the form the start. Complete both the request form and the affidavit and turn in the completed forms along with the necessary verification documents listed below to the county child support worker handling your case. Verification documents: 3 months of most recent pay stubs. 3 years of most recent taxes. Proof of SSI or SSDI benefits. Proof of medical insurance and monthly premium costs. Child care receipts. I hope this helps. Please don't forget to rate the question for credit so that I will be paid for assisting you with your question.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 5 months ago.

If you have any other questions, just ask.