Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Do i have to go to court to get full custody of my child or

Customer Question

do i have to go to court to get full custody of my child or is there a form that both parents can sign giving one of them full custody without going to court
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: new york
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: a legal aid
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 4 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Full custody will need to be court ordered, if you want it to have legal effect. As such, the necessary forms and paperwork needs to be filed and this has to be ordered by the Judge, based upon the best interest of the child. if the other party is in agreement to this and not contesting it, it should be fairly easy but the Judge is going to want the parties to appear, so make sure the childs best interest is being represented and to know the other party is agreeing to this an voluntarily giving up custody.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!