Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I am just kind of searching to figure out what to expect at

Customer Question
Hi Pearl. I am...
Hi Pearl. I am just kind of searching to figure out what to expect at my uncontested dissolution general magistrate hearing. it hasnt been scheduled yet but I was told it was referred to GM and I would be receiving a hearing date
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no we filed everything pro se
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no. we do have a minor child but the parenting plan, support and asset division was all agreed upon and he waived his right to attend final hearing/agreed to all terms we provided
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
5/10/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

So here they line up a group of uncontested divorces like yours and go through them one at a time, first com first serve.If you are lucky you can watch a couple.Basically they swear you in and go down your petition.You are ***** ***** and you were married on or about May 1, 2016 to Bill Smith in Orange County ,Florida and so on and so forth.You are asking the court to approve the settlement and parenting plan that the parties agreed to today.If you are asking to change your name make sure they grant that as well.

It is like 10 minute deal tops, you just read over your petition and the names, dates, etc so you can answer when judge asks you the questions about your petition.It is not hard, they are usually friendly, this is uncontested.Just make sure to go on and order copies for your files once he signs it, sooner or later you will need these.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Great thank you Ray. So it sounds pretty simple and straight forward. I'm not sure if this is something that happens or not but could they deny any of it? as in the settlement, parenting plan or child support? If they can then what happens? I want to be sure I go in there knowing what to expect.Is he required to attend? We filed his answer, waiver and request for copy of final judgement where he waived his appearance at the final hearing but not sure if this is the "final hearing".Also if they approve all of what we provided at the hearing is the divorce made final at that time?what do i need to go on and order copies of? and is that on this same day that i buy these copies?
We filed this in January and are both anxious to get this finalized asap so I am hoping to have it done at the magistrate hearing but I want to be mentally prepared if there is the possibility that it wont be completed that day.

They would not deny this he agreed to it and its reasonable and fair to all.I don't see any problems at all here, the master only hears uncontested cases.It will be simple here, just go and dress like church you will be fine.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer