How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sue Your Own Question
Sue, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 168
Experience:  Family Law litigator for over 35 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Sue is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was just wondering if its is possible to apply for child

Customer Question

Hello I was just wondering if its is possible to apply for child support after 15 years? My son is now 15 and his father has never acknowledged him but supports other children and we just need some help. Thankyou for your time
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Victoria Australia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Sue replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I am a licensed attorney with over 35 years’ experience in family law. I am here to help you today. I’d like to review your question for a few minutes, type your answer and then I’ll be right back.


Expert:  Sue replied 5 months ago.

This is general information and not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. This is for educational purposes only.

Yes, you can apply for child support now, and it would be good to proceed quickly to do that. That's because you may or may not be eligible for past child support going back to your child's birth, and because child support will start at least from the date you begin the legal process.

You can apply to establish child support here.

There is interesting information about child support in Australia here.

It may be that you have to establish paternity, which can be done through your local court's website here. But from the looks of it, your best bet is to apply at the first link I gave you.

If you would like to provide more information, if you have other questions or if I can be of any further assistance, please just reply to continue.

I hope I have given you good service today.

Kindly chose a rating when you are ready.

Best wishes,


Expert:  Sue replied 5 months ago.

Hello, is there anything else I can help you with?

If you haven't already, would you please choose a rating?

Thank you,