How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13748
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been with my sons father for nine years. He is on

Customer Question

I have been with my sons father for nine years. He is on drugs and alcohol he has left us for another woman, we are not married can I get child support and alimony?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: washington
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we have a house but it is in his name only. I live here with my son.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

Good evening,

While you can file for child support, because you were not legally married and Washington State does not recognize common law marriage, you cannot seek alimony. Because you are unmarried, you would want to file a Petition for a Parenting Plan/Residential Schedule, and/or child support with paternity acknowledgment or final parentage order.

You can get these forms from the Washington Courts website although my recommendation to anyone before beginning a family law case would be to consult with a family law attorney in your area (many if not most lawyers will offer free or low cost consultations) to discuss your specific situation and decide whether this is something you want to handle on your own.

Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

Alternatively, you could seek child support services through the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services.