How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10277
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm getting married to a wonderful person, which I have been

Customer Question

Hi I'm getting married to a wonderful person, which I have been dating for a few years 3 years.We are living in California Los Angeles. I'm a US Citizen, and she is a student here from Europe.
We are getting married in Las Vegas, Nevada.
I heard some crazy divorce stories, with guys getting financially wiped out, and emotionally too.
I still want to get married, but want to plan and get everything done properly. Especially in CA.What do i need to do before getting married, so that if i get divorced in the future (hopefully not) i can separate in the best terms possible?What documents do we need to fill out? and should it be notarized?What terms and do you have an example of such document?We are not rich at all, but you never know what the future reserves so better safe than sorry.I might inherit in the future of my parent and i want that to stay mine, except if something happens to me than my wife should have it. Also my parent might help us get a house, and i would like that everyone gets the share they invested in case of separation not more or less.I need the form to fill out as best as possible, to be protected.I want everyone to get the shares that they invested for down deposits, cars, etc, keep 100% what they had before the marriage, and for anything made together 50% each is fine. Mediation is preferred I heard.What should I write, and why....
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 4 months ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  LegalGems replied 4 months ago.

Many congratulations on your upcoming plans!

Family code 1610-1617 govern prenups, and it is very important to follow these guidelines so the prenup is valid and enforceable.

Full financial disclosure is imperative and the following forms can help in that regard:

Also each party should have their own attorney, and there should be a 7 day waiting period between viewing the document, and signing it.

The relevant codes can be viewed here:

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 4 months ago.

Here is a sample template but legal representation is essential.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 4 months ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here: