How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Iwa, I live in Columbus Ohio my ex husband has custody of my

Customer Question

JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: I live in Columbus Ohio my ex husband has custody of my 11 yr old .while I have partial. We don't communicate cause he won't and he does what he wants. I need to know if I can get back shared custody.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I have been thru 3 and they haven't helped me they wanted more money which I don't have .last time turned out that I didn't get notice of court papers were sent to my old address and he knew I was staying with my mother
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can I get children's services to help me?
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Here is the law that applies. Under OH law, a court may modify a decree allocating parental rights and responsibilities only if it finds, based on the facts that have arisen since the decree or that were unknown to the court at the time of the decree, that there has been a change in the circumstances of the child, the residential parent, or either of the parents subject to a shared parenting decree and that modification is necessary to serve the best interest of the child. The court must retain the residential parent designated by the decree, unless a modification is in the best interest of the child and one of the following applies: (1) the residential parent in a sole custody situation (or both parents under a shared parenting decree) agrees to change the residential parent designation, (2) the child, with the residential parent’s consent (or both parents’ consent under a shared parent ing decree), has been integrated into the family of the person seeking to become the residential parent, or (3) the advantages of a change in the child’s environment outweigh the disadvantages.

Here are a list of OH pro bono service center that may be able to assist you.

Note: Just Answer’s site disclaimer apply to all services including premium services. This information may not be correct, complete or reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction. Please do not act or fail to act based on it alone. Most follow-up questions are answered within 24 hours. Please assign a feedback rating when we are done so JA will compensate me for this answer. Thank you.