How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118201
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 22 year old son is in prison serving a 4 year sentence

Customer Question

My 22 year old son is in prison serving a 4 year sentence for robbery. He has a 2 year old daughter (his only child) that he just was served child support against. Does he have any rights and how can he pay if hes in jail and getting a job when he gets out is going to be a mess
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine.
Customer: We are in california
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I dont understand? He was just served in prison with the child support papers yesterday
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, just because he is in jail does not relieve him of liability for child support. So, the court can order the support payment against him and it would continue to accrue until he is let out of jail and then he will have to get a job to pay for it. As he is unemployed the support amount will be low, usually the minimum support, but it will continue to accrue until he pays it.
The only other way to do this is for you to make the support payments for him while in jail until he is released so he does not run into huge arrears upon release.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.