Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have an issue with temp. custody, I am in Georgia but the

Customer Question
I have an issue with...
I have an issue with temp. custody
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Georgia but the mother and my order is tooken care of in Indiana
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Police reports
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
5/9/2017
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 6 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site.

What can I answer for you in regards ***** ***** issue with temporary custody, please? And also tell me a little bit about the background of the situation. Thanks!

My 17yo daughter came to me in June of 2016 to finish out her senior year of highschool here in GA. Her mother and step father also demanded that she leave because of disrespectful behavior. They sent her to me on a 1 way ticket. After registering for school and getting things in order her in GA I requested that her mom stop the child support. She did not do so. I sent her a certified letter stating the same thing and she still denied. After calling the IN Marion county child support office, they informed me that I would have to petition her to court. I did so and received a court date of March 21, 2017. Court did not go well as she came in and manipulated the whole process. I did NOT go before a judge and the attorney present for the courts rescheduled for a later date of June 19, 2017. My daughter is EXTREMELY disrespectful and her mother cheers ***** ***** which call for discipline. She is not familiar with discipline as why she was sent to me and calls her mother complaining. Her mother then comes to my house from IN un-announced with 3 other family members at 12:30am trying to extract her from my home. I called the police and the police informed her that she could not do so. She talked to a counselor which informed her of the same thing. She left that night which was a Wed. night. Friday as my 12 year old gears up to catch the bus immediately calls me hysterical because there is a male at the door ringing the door bell. She watch him leave, after she did not answer, and he jumps into a car parked 3 doors down only to pull in front of the house to let my 17 year old daughter out to come into the house to retrieve her things and leave with her mother for IN. This was on a school day and she DID NOT withdraw her from her present school. I am concerned that nothing will be done because the courts never gave me ANY papers stating that she is in my care for her senior year. I was going to request that on the court date that was held on March 20, 2017 but they were so diligent about getting us out in a hurry. Is there anything that I can do or is this a loss.

I see. Okay, so what is the aim here? To formally transfer custody, OR, to get child support?

To see if there are any consequences on her end for extracting her from my home and school without notice.
Also, what could be done on my end to make sure I'm legally safe when we appear in court again.

My apologies for the wait as I was offline when you had originally replied. Please clarify:

1) At the time that she extracted her from school, WHICH ONE OF YOU had formal custody (per the decree, regardless of whom she was actually living with) - you or your ex?

2) In the decree, does it say who is responsible for educational decisions? You, or your ex? Is it a sole decision or do both parents have to agree? Or, not sure?

Ely, Counselor at Law