Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My granddaughter married a man with 2 children and

Customer Question
biological mother caused many problems...
My granddaughter married a man with 2 children and biological mother caused many problems wheras the father was awarded custody and my granddaughter was issued Adoption of the boys ages 11 and 13. Now they are going to divorce and my granddaughter was told she can't relinquish her rights in the State of Indiana She is in a super mess with her husband and she doesn't want to be legally responsible. What are her options? .
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Indiana
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: She went to a divorce attorney and that is what he saidI
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The biological mother lost her right and is Appealing the process in Appellete Court so my granddaughter can't get the divorce until this is finalized. Her name isn't even on the Docket and it has been over 7 months. I just want to know if my granddaughter has a chance of filing a Petition to have her rights.?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I was told by her that the State of Indiana doesn't allow this.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
5/9/2017
Family Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

She may need to obtain a lawyer and try to get the DCS here to terminate.I have seen situations where a lawyer can convince them to do so.The second is if the Department of Child Services files a court action to terminate parental rights--but the DCS can do so only if there is a pattern of abuse or neglect that has no hope of being corrected. I agree it is a stretch but the DCS can do so if they are leveraged by a lawyer on her behalf.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Maybe her divorce lawyer could help with this as well.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer