How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30382
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got divorced in 2008. I recently found out that his lawyer

Customer Question

I got divorced in 2008. I recently found out that his lawyer wrot our divorce decree wrong and didn't put in the correct and complete property description in. The judge signed off on it. I am wondering if this affects us being legally divorced?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: We both live in the same county now and we received a letter stating that I was still on the deed for the property and that's how I found out. I was suppose to be taken off, but because the description isn't right, they couldn't.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

No, it doesn't affect the divorce itself. You're still legally divorced. However, either of you can file a Motion to Correct the Judgment, pointing out the mistake as a clerical error and asking the judge to correct the court order.

Alternatively, you could sign a quitclaim deed giving your interest in the property to your former spouse. They may have to refinance the property to remove your name if there's currently a loan.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Do you have any questions about this?