Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Can a parent waive child support in a parenting plan and

Hello, can a parent waive...
Hello, can a parent waive child support in a parenting plan and forego the Dept of Rev application for child support?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: FL
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes, to review my parenting plan but my parenting plan is 99% complete and I can't pay the retainer for the child support section of the document
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
5/3/2017
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

It is rare that a court will allow a couple to waive child support unless each parent is earning about the same amount of income and each parent shares custody close to 50/50.

However, the fact that the court imposes child support does not have to prevent a private agreement that the person receiving the support each month will simply return that support money when received to the person paying it. With the exception of any administrative charges by the state for collecting and disbursing the child support, that makes the end result pretty much what you set out to do in the first place which was to eliminate the support obligation.

However, keep in mind that to eliminate support---either because the judge is willing to not order support, or because the money is returned to the payor immediately after it is received by the custodial parent----both parents must agree to such a plan.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Good afternoon,

Is there anything else I can assist you with today? It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars so that I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service. It is greatly appreciated.

I wish you the best in 2017,

Doug

What about creditable expenses and arrearages???
How far back can I go??

Are you asking about having to pay arrears of expenses and support? As a rule the court will not eliminate arrears, and to deal with those you will have to get the cooperation of the other parent if you want to avoid them. Again, you pay the support/arrears to the state, the state pay the other parent and the other parent then sends the money back to you.

You may reply to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I can address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen so that I can be compensated for helping you. I am not an employee of the site and I am only paid when you rate my service to you. There is no cost to you related to your rating my service to you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

Please answer the final question! CAN I APPLY PREPAID CREDITS AGAINST THE DOR LIABILITIES, ie. Childcare, medical, health, living expenses, etc???

Did the court originally tell you that you could deduct from any child support owed things that you pay for such as childcare, health insurance or living expenses? You see, I'm not sure what you mean by creditable expenses. As a rule the court orders you pay for those expenses AND pay a set amount of child support each month.

LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law

Thank you for accepting my call offer. Would you please provide your phone number? After you do that, please send me a quick Reply to let me know that you have posted the number, so I can call you.

I look forward to speaking with you.

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Thanks. I am calling now.

Thank you for your questions. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope that you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply placing my name (Doug) in the first sentence of your new question.

Thanks again, and have a great 2017,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law