Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If child support arrears has been paid off to a child born…

If child support arrears...

If child support arrears has been paid off to a child born in German. Is it Is required to reopen the case based on the exchange rate.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes just recentlly

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thats it

5/3/2017
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. I'm afraid that I do not understand your question. Would you please rephrase it, and perhaps provide a bit more background information?

Doug

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the child was born September 1983. I have paid off my previous obligations however, the German government are saying the due to the difference between the Mark and the dollar I owe more.

Thanks for the clarification.

Quite simply, if the support was ordered by the German courts prior to the placement of the Euro, then the support would have been set out in German DM. And if you paid in US dollars, it was your responsibility to ensure that the money you paid was the equivalent of the amount owed in DM after the conversion of the money from dollars to DM.

While you certainly do not need to go to court to and reopen the support case, you will have to determine the shortfall of the payments based on the cost of conversion from dollars to DM and pay the remainder of the money to the German Government which is seeking to collect it from you.

You may reply back to me again if you have additional questions, and I will continue to assist you.

I am not an employee of this site and I am only paid for helping you when you rate my service to you. Please remember to rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars on your screen (preferably 5-Stars) so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours well in 2017,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope that you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply asking for me by name, Doug, in the first sentence of your new question.

Thanks again.

Doug