Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter was recently taken from her mother by buy a

Customer Question
My daughter was recently...

My daughter was recently taken from her mother by buy a detective waving paperwork in front of her face saying there's a protection order against her and maybe something about an ex parte hearing not sure but the grandmother showed up and my daughter was given to her right in front of me while I was showing them the birth certificate that I am the father no legal action has been taken against me they told me to get back and I was trying to protect my daughter and save her from being kidnapped by the police and they are rested me and told me I have no say in the matter is this even legal the mother was not served any paperwork that day and cannot find out any information about it it is like the police and the grandmother all my ex-girlfriends side just sold my daughter I guess I'm asking can I go pick my child up and not get in trouble by the law if I do I don't know my rights and I can't find any answers the mother and I have no argument about custody we each get her an equal amount of time because we live together

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Baton Rouge Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

After I bonded out of jail I have tried to find out information the only thing I was told is there is a restraining order against the mother to the grandmother I have not been able to file any paperwork I did call the State Police never got a call back I also reported it to a sheriff whom I know but his officers and Lead detective are the ones that took my daughter come to find out

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No ma'am

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
4/30/2017
Family Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer,

Thank You for posting your question to just answer today. This is attorney Bill offering legal information specific to your concerns.

You can contact the Department of Children and Family Services for information on your daughter.

Here is there contact information:

http://dcfs.louisiana.gov/index.cfm?md=directory&tmp=home&nid=247&pnid=0&pid=0

If your daughter is in care, temporary custody or another you can file a petition with the family court for custody or modification of custody.

Please remember to rate positively my response before exiting.

THIS IS HOW I GET A CREDIT FOR MY TIME AND RESPONSE

SO I HOPE YOU RATE 5 STARS TODAY

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As legal father of my daughter and no actions allegations paperwork or anything filed or taken against me can I go to the grandmother's house and demand my child back
Family Lawyer: Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney replied 1 year ago
Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney

Hi. I am the expert that will be answering your questions.

I am a Certified Child Welfare Law Specialist.

If as you describe there are no protective or custody Orders naming you and the child is not placed with the Grandmother pursuant to A Court Order than you absolutely have the legal right to custody of your child. One exception would be if DCFS took custody without a court Order on an emergency basis, they may keep the child pending the issuance of a Court Order.

If that Order is issued, you will be given a chance to oppose it in court within a limited amount of time.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

The site does not credit the Attorneys unless the customer rates our service positively. Thank you for your consideration. Please let me know if you were unhappy with my service and I will opt out for another Attorney to assist you.

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.

Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney