Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Can DHS in CO ask to listen to calls from jail without a

court order. Can they get...
Can DHS in CO ask to listen to calls from jail without a court order. Can they get a coirt order to do something like that 10 months in to a no contact order being enforced?
4/25/2017
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. The answer is yes, I am afraid.

1) Prisoners lack many rights. So while this may be improper if they were not in jail/prison, in jail/prison, they have no rights, and their calls may be listed in on by jail/state officials. The prisoner has no right to privacy.

2) These officials can share the call with whomever they want.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of THREE OR MORE STARS and then click FINISH to submit that rating, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating (it does not cost anything extra to rate).

Ely, Counselor at Law
Ely, Counselor at Law