Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Is there a statute of limitations on property settlement in

a separation/divorce? My situation...
Is there a statute of limitations on property settlement in a separation/divorce? My situation is that in our separation agreement of August 2012 we divided assets which are specified in the agreement. My ex did not realize that my name was still on the title to 2 vehicles he owns. He asked me to sign over auto 1 which I did without question a month ago. In the interim, we are about to be in a custody dispute since I am about to me married and move to another town 1.5 hours away. He then asked me to sign over vehicle 2, to which I replied that I would be happy to sign, if he would sign on custody agreement (I realize they are 2 entirely separate issues). I now receive a 10 day demand letter from his attorney to sign over the title or they will proceed
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: NC and it is a 2004 Harley Davidson motorcyle
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The separation agreement was filed with the Lenoir County Register of Deeds if that is what you are referring to.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only that they are saying that I breached the property settlement agreement. I read that there is 4 year statute, but am unsure.
4/23/2017
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law

Hello. My name is Alex.

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I cannot comment on your specific situation, but generally, the terms of the marital settlement agreement can be enforced at any point in time, since the family court would retain jurisdiction to enforce such marital settlement agreement, if one ex-spouse breaches the agreement then the aggrieved ex-spouse can in fact file a Motion to Enforce the Marital Settlement Agreement and also can ask the court to award attorney's fees and court costs involved in the enforcement action.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.

Thank you.

Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law