Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I LIVE IN P'COLA AND MY QUESTION IS TO FIND OUT WHAT MY

Customer Question
I LIVE IN P'COLA...

I LIVE IN P'COLA AND MY QUESTION IS TO FIND OUT WHAT MY NEPHEW DALE GRIFFITH NEEDS TO GET CS PAYMENT LOWERED. HE LIVES IN LOUISIANA AND I TRYING TO HELP HIM TO DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE TO LOWER CS.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

NO

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

JUST WHAT WE NEED TO DO THANK YOU

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
4/21/2017
Family Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good morning,

Your nephew would have to file a motion with the court asking them to reduce his child support. The side asking the court to change the amount of child support must show a "material change in the circumstances of one of the parties between the time of the previous award and the rule for modification of the award." That means your nephew must show that something happened that relates to how much should be paid to support the child or children. That person must also show that this situation happened since the last time the court made a decision on child support. A material change in circumstances where a person is seeking a reduction in support often comes about, for example, because a person lost their job and now cannot make their support payments.

The form created by the Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services has boxes to check for a person to list those things that may show a need for child support to go up or down. There is also a place on the form to describe an event or situation not listed on the form.

The law says you need a valid reason to seek a change in child support. Louisiana Revised Statutes 9:311 says: " If the court does not find good cause sufficient to justify an order to modify child support or the motion is dismissed prior to a hearing, it may order the mover (the party asking the court for the change) to pay all court costs and reasonable attorney fees of the other party if the court determines the motion was frivolous." La. Rev. Stat. 9:311(E).

You can see a lot of this information and find the form your nephew will need to ask for a modification here:

http://lasc.libguides.com/c.php?g=463939&p=3171431

If you need clarification or additional information, please REPLY and I'll be happy to help further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars so I am credited for my time and assistance today. Thank you!

RobertJDFL, Lawyer