Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

I pay 700. a month allimony. my X Wife does not work sence

I pay 700. a month allimony . my X Wife does not work sence divorce gets dsabilitiy and now will recieve a very Large inheritance from her Uncle that passed . Any chance that can change my alimony . I have to pay for life
JA: How long was the marriage? Do both parties earn roughly the same amount of money?
Customer: 16 years and I make more at the time sence I work . I also recieve disability from VA
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: nothing . not sure of the amount she will get as the paper is not thou yet from what I been told and I do not want to louse any more either
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: do I get charged ?

Hello. My name is Alex.

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, inheritance acquired by the ex-spouse would not have any legal significance when it comes to the court ordered lifetime alimony, regardless of the amount of the inheritance.

Generally, the only time the alimony could be modified / reduced, is the ex-spouse who was ordered to pay alimony can demonstrate to the court that the alimony payment has created an undue personal financial hardship resulting in inability to continue making alimony payments and such hardship is permanent in nature.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?

Thank you.

Thank you.