Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I am in the preliminary stages of filing for divorce and

Customer Question

I am in the preliminary stages of filing for divorce and have not yet matched with an attorney. I have a child with a medical disability and 2 other children who are 8 yo and younger. The father has a vindictive streak and has a tendency to ghost me, or not respond to text messages and abruptly leave the home without providing any child help when he is angry at me. Because of the child with the medical disability, I am only able to work weekends when the father can help. However I am planning to ask for primary custody of the medically disabled child because the father does not follow care plans, and has made negative statements to me about the medically disabled child, such as hoping he dies in his sleep, bc the child is very difficult to care of. What qualifications or certifications should I look for in a family law attorney who could best assist me in this difficult situation so that I can maximize child support and financial security for the children, as well as myself? I was married since 2003 (Texas resident). Thx
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You want a Board Certified Family Lawyer.They have specialized in Family Law matters, they can get you the maximum support.

You can find one here.

http://www.tbls.org/Directory/Attorney.aspx

You can read their ratings here too on AVVO as a second check here.

https://www.avvo.com/ammlp/lawyer-list/family-lawyer/78745/?utm_medium=sem&utm_source=google&utm_content=adblock&network=g&device=c&keyword=family%20court%20%2Blawyer&matchtype=b&creative=171572909950&adposition=1t2&k_clickid=416eb2d1-30ec-49cf-a801-80eacc4b9a2b&utm_campaign=adblock&campaignid=280106882&adgroupid=20863789322&c3api=3040,171572909950,family%20court%20%2Blawyer&gclid=CjwKEAjwz9HHBRDbopLGh-afzB4SJABY52oFUWAQE0Gg3iE7UlOvTpO9LpXJOBuu0rSO6eWXAVMbRhoCPy7w_wcB

Put in your city to see lawyers with ratings near you.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.You are due spousal maintenance here in addition to child support here in Texas.

I wish you the best here.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Child support reference

Once you’ve established the noncustodial parent’s net monthly income, multiply that number by a percentage that’s determined by how many children the paying parent is supporting.

1 child = multiply the monthly net income by 20%
2 children = multiply the monthly net income by 25%
3 children = multiply the monthly net income by 30%
4 children = multiply the monthly net income by 35%
5 children = multiply the monthly net income by 40%
For 6 or more children, the amount must be at least the same as for five children

Example Support Calculation

Support calculation for a parent with $2,000 net monthly income and two children: $2,000 (net monthly income) x .25 (25% for two children) = $500 per month in monthly child support.

If a payingparent’s net income is greater than $7,500 per month, the child supportcalculation applies only to the first $7,500; after that, the court may orderadditional support if the circumstances warrant a higher payment—but theadditional amount can be no greater than “the proven needs of the child.” Aparent who believes that guideline support is too high or too low can ask thecourt to make an adjustment, and there’s a long list of factors that the judgecan consider, in Texas Family Code Section 154.123. Note, a parent who has anobligation to support multiple children living in different households will payslightly less than the guideline amount for children living in the samehousehold, based on some rather complicated calculations contained in TexasFamily Code Section 154.128. Learn more about Child Custody.

This is in addition to spousal maintenance, insurance and care for when you are working.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How many years of experience is recommended though in terms of relevant practice experience to make the best match? Also is the above child support equation relevant to my situation where medical expenses and medical insurance costs are significantly more than a family without a medically disabled person?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What is a reasonable divorce rate or fee or how do I know if I am being overcharged? Do most charge hourly or flat fees?
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 4 months ago.
most charge an hourly rate. Some do a fixed fee. I may be able to assist as i am licensed inTexas.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But how many years of experience is recommended though in terms of relevant practice experience to make the best match? Also is the above child support equation (3 children = multiply the monthly net income by 30%) still relevant to my situation where medical expenses and medical insurance costs are significantly more than a family without a medically disabled person? If the case does not go to a trial then are most divorces such as mine less than or more than $5K
I would expect yours to cost $15k or so. The coury will probably enter special orders for the child's medical needs. I think an attorney with at least 10 years experience is optimal
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is $15K inclusive of my attorney as well as my spouse's attorney? I will be asking my spouse to pay the fees.
No just yours

Let me know if you have any additional questions otherwise a positive rating would be greatly appreciated.