How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 879
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was wondering how the forms for a temporary order and the

Customer Question

I was wondering how the forms for a temporary order and the final order differ regarding custody
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: there is a temporary oder on file with the courts
JA: Is this a criminal or civil case?
Customer: civil custody
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just that i go to court tomorrow to get it finalized. so my real question is if the judge will just sign off on the temporary or do i need to make another document
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  originallawyer replied 4 months ago.

Hello! Please stand by as I work on your answer!

Expert:  originallawyer replied 4 months ago.

If the temporary order was filed for the Judge's review, the Judge may either choose to sign the document that was filed, or make changes and request that you draft a new one based on the changes they request. It will depend on the Judge. There is no reason to draft a new order different than the one that was filed for the Judge to review, unless you are now asking for something different.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. I am wanting to change one thing from the temporary order. Can I just print the temporary order with the change made to it then refile it if the judge sings off on it? Also is there any difference between a temporary and final order forms besides the word temporary being on the documents?
Expert:  originallawyer replied 4 months ago.

You can take the new one with you and ask the Judge to sign the new one. You won't need to refile it, the clerk will take care of it after the Judge has signed it.

The main difference between a temporary or final order is that the final order is not able to be changed unless you reopen the case and pay a modification fee.