How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11814
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am wanting to file for a divorce after 34 years of

Customer Question

I am wanting to file for a divorce after 34 years of marriage. We have no minor children. He is retired, and gets Soc. Sec. and pensions from P.E.R.S. and Local 701 union. I work part time and have no retirement or pension, and can not draw Soc. Sec. for another 7 or 8 years. I am seeking 50% of his retirement. I have not lived in the home since 12-31-2015, but he has resided in the home. There is no other money. Just what he receives monthly. We have agreed that the home will need to be sold, and the mortgage paid off, the divide the remainder equally. I will have to borrow what money I will have to have to retain an attorney and want to find the cheapest & easiest way to get this divorce completed.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I'm sorry, it is in Oregon, Coos County.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have spoken to 3 different ones and they all tell me the same. The least amount I will need is $4600. for retainer.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think very good right now but I did want to know if I wait any longer to do this, does he have some way of getting me for abandonment?
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 4 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 4 months ago.

Is everything agreed upon with you and your soon to be ex?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
far, yes. He is agreeing, but has been dragging his feet on putting the house up for sale.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 4 months ago.

The most affordable way to do this would be if it was uncontested and you each represented yourself and agreed on everything. If so, your costs would limited to those required by the court and you could do this on your own. Of course, you do not have to and if you want to retain an attorney, you should. If this is uncontested, the attorney fees should be lower and possible a flat fee. However, if he fights you, is when the cost would go up.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 4 months ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Related Family Law Questions