How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29788
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Indiana civil statute 34-11-2-12 says that that a judgement

Customer Question

Indiana civil statute 34-11-2-12 says that that a judgement is considered satisfied afer 20 years. Does that apply to child support garnishment.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Indiana
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes, I having been paying child support for 25 years.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: my children are all over the age of 35
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

A child support order can be enforced for up to 10 years after the child turns 18. A child support order that has been reduced to a judgment is good for 20 years.

When the judge simply says, "Pay $X per month..." that's a child support order. The custodial parent has until the child turns 28 to get that order changed to a judgment. You would know if you had a judgment, because it sets a total amount, rather than a monthly payment, and it usually provides for interest. This is something that is typically done after the original support order is entered, and only if you've missed payments.

Related Family Law Questions